Pages

Excuse Me, Your Insecurities Are Showing

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My mother in law recently bought an outfit for my daughter.

It's size 18 months and includes little leggings.

After her last visit, my mother in law voiced her concern that the outfit might not fit my daughter because she had such chubby legs.

Multiple times.

And I freely admit, my daughter has impressive thigh rolls.

She's also three months old.

A perfectly health, normal size three month old.

I think this is my first true taste of the difference between raising a boy and a girl.

I have a son who will be three in a few weeks. Nobody has ever mentioned his fat thighs and his rolls were even more massive at peak baby chubbiness.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to protect her from this stuff. But I will certainly do my best.

7 comments:

Fireblossom March 24, 2010 at 4:56 PM  

Okay, Blogger ate my first comment, let's try this again! Coming from a family of weight nazis--my mother, at 93 years of age and about the same number of pounds STILL eats "diet" food--this is a sore subject with me. Your little baby girl is simply adorable and I'm so glad she has you to make sure she knows it.

Kelly March 25, 2010 at 6:20 AM  

It's so sad how young they start to indoctrinate us girls into being perfect, pretty, little ladies. I say "they" and don't know who I mean exactly. I'm sure we're all guilty in one way or another. Still, it's sad. I'm glad she has a mom like you.

Jenners March 25, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

Ok ... I totally see why you had to start a new blog. WHO SAYS THAT ABOUT A BABY!!!????

Eric | Eden Journal March 25, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

I will never understand why people feel the need to comment on a child's weight, especially a baby. Your title to this post says it all.

Jeanie March 25, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

Don't give her comment another thought. Chubby legs at 3 months or even 3 years....pshaw! I'd be more worried about a 3 month old who didn't have thigh rolls.

mosey (kim) March 25, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

My daughter came home from preschool at age three in tears because her eyebrows weren't "pretty enough". Whether it was a schoolfriend or a grownup outside my hearing that gave her that impression, I don't know. But if it had been within my hearing that person would have had an earful. Idiots.

My daughter at six still occasionally complains that she thinks she looks funny, and I just try to make sure she knows that she is unique and perfect in her own way.

(thanks for visiting!)

justmakingourway March 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

Chubby baby legs are the best thing ever. There is never anything wrong with chubby, chubby baby legs!

This reminds me of the fact that Old Navy has started making "skinny jeans" for toddlers. WTF is up with that nonsense!?!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP